Sunday, October 21, 2007

MY #2 SIN

Robert Conn had a great post the other day entitled "Question About SIN." In it, he talked about the issue of #2 sins. These are those things in your life that hide behind other "big" sins like lust, alcholism, murder, etc. You know - the super-nasty ones that get all the attention? Those that are so easy to bash.

Robert was challenging people to examine their own lives, try to find that "#2 Sin," and expose it for what it is. (At least that's what I think he was doing.)

I would say that my "#2 Sin" is busyness. I know that sounds strange at first. Sorta like, "Wait a minute! Isn't sloth a sin. Laying around on your fat butt and eating Ding-Dongs and Cheetos isn't exactly glorifying to God, right?" I agree, but I think that far too often I run to the other end of the spectrum to over committ myself in an effort at looking like I have it all together.

The feeling is almost that the more balls I can keep juggling, the more useful I am. Like the woman at the well (see three posts down), I'm more concerned with the task of carrying water or impressing someone with how much I know that I don't ever take a break. I don't rest.

I suck at solitude. Sure, I can zone out in front of the TV for a while, but if you give me a journal and a quiet room...I'm liable to freak out. I don't like being still.

There's only one problem with that - God's voice is often a whisper in the stillness (at least I think I read that fancy phrase somewhere before).

I think my "#2 Sin" of busyness is only fueling those "#1 Sins." Funny how life works, huh?

No comments: